Worthless updates

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 19:24:04 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 11:58:23AM -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:

> +1.  IMHO, The N-1 (F11) release should get minimal updates.
>
> > If Fedora is going to be a rolling update package collection (despite
> > what Kevin tries to claim about some mythical "semi-rolling", that's
> > what we are getting in some quarters), then stop the releases every 6
> > months.  There's no point; put a little more effort into the respins
> > instead and release those every 4-6 months as point releases.  Have an
> > annual roll-up release and then keep rolling.
>
> This is interesting... Similar in spirit to the Unity team's Respins.
> There could be only one "released supported distribution" (note, not a
> version, there would be no version, so no more of this N-1, N-2
> nonsense) - just a rawhide snapshot, spun out into media, but with
> updates always flowing...
>
> I'd like to see this.
>
> Oh - we have this!  It's called rawhide.  Restore the ISO generator
> process every so often so people can get something to install from,
> and you're good to go.
>
> The _only_ reason to name something with a 'version' or a 'release' is
> to provide a set point for consistency, either in people's minds
> (marketing), or to provide a technical baseline for interoperability.

It is a reason but it's not the only reason. Semi-rolling releases allow
a subset of the entire packager community to work on an update as a set and
then push them when they're known to work together.  Currently rawhide is
not so coherent.

We could change rawhide from a pure rolling to a semi-rolling model but then
would we need to have a rawerhide?

-Toshio