Worthless updates

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Wed Mar 3 19:26:31 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 08:04:21PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Till Maas wrote:
> > As far as I understood, there is no need to backport security fixes. One
> > could just copy the package with the security fix with all needed
> > dependencies to the stable repo imho.
>
> I think people are going to visit me at home and do really scary things to
> me if I push a "security update" upgrading KDE from, say, 4.2.x to some
> 4.4.x to the conservative update stream. ;-) At least for some packages, the
> only way to maintain the conservative stream would be backporting, otherwise
> it doesn't make sense to have a conservative stream at all.

It depends on the definition of the conservative stream. I did not meant
it to be RHEL-like-stable, but more like
updates-spend-a-month-in-updates-without-negative-karma-stable or
whatever the criterion should be. I suspect very much that it will be a
top FAQ, to enable normal updates for many people, but at least this
allows to gather some data.

Regards
Till