Refining the update queues/process [Was: Worthless updates]

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 3 22:06:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 17:04 +0100, Till Maas wrote:

> I mind have misunderstood it, but afaics it only says that it will be
> tested, because it spent time in updates-testing, but this is not even
> true nowadays, even if packages stay long in updates-testing.

as we've explained several times, most packages that go to
updates-testing for a few days *are* being tested, even if they get no
apparent Bodhi feedback. Several QA group members run with
updates-testing enabled and so get all packages (that they have
installed) which go through updates-testing. They do not file positive
feedback for every single package because there's just too many, but if
they notice breakage, they file negative feedback.

So - for the third time - a package being in updates-testing for a few
days and getting no negative feedback is a moderate strength indicator
that it's not egregiously broken. Not a super-strong indicator, but
better than a kick in the teeth.

This is why what winds up getting proposed to FESco is probably going to
be something along the lines of *either* acquiring a certain level of
positive feedback *or* sitting in testing for a few days without
acquiring any negative feedback. So you can either submit your update
and wait a few days to push it, or submit it and ask a couple of people
to test it and post positive feedback, and then you'll be able to push
it immediately.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey