Harmless KDE feature upgrades - yeah right

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 12:13:18 UTC 2010

On 03/04/2010 05:13 PM, Juha Tuomala wrote:
> This is exactly kind off stuff I don't have time now to solve,
> since I need to work. If such upgrade would have been put to
> next coming release, I could have upgraded when I have time,
> some weekend - it would not interrupted my working and ruin my
> day.

Yes and it does happen now and then that updates like these cause end
users some pain and while some users love to tinker and play with new
features others see it as a hindrance even if it is purely enhancement
with no regressions because even UI changes cause disruption in workflow
setting aside all the possibility of regressions and I dont believe that
Fedora has the right balance between innovation and stability (not
merely robustness but any change for that matter) at the moment  (CentOS
is far removed and rawhide is far too bleeding edge)

Whether it would be a separate backports repo or merely some more
conservativeness in our update stream needs to be discussed and the
current discussion has brought up very polarised opinions and at this
point it would be useful to discuss detailed proposals than continuously
repeating the same points in a circle

For your specific case please file bug reports

Rahul