how to make things better(tm)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 18:07:17 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 05:10:41PM +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 03/05/2010 03:25 PM, Thomas Janssen wrote:
> >
> > Well, no. It wouldn't be a very hot leading distro. It would be
> > nothing more than any other distro with the same release-cycle.
>
> Assuming that other distros were packaging all of the exact same
> releases on the exact same release cycle, yes, obviously.  However, I
> don't believe that a distro which always immediately pushed every new
> upstream release of everything would be very useful: it'd basically be
> like trying to use rawhide all the time.

Agreed, current rawhide is not consumable or very appealing as a platform to
run.

> I suspect that the Fedora policy, as stated, makes the most sense for
> most people who use Fedora.  There is no rule against pushing new
> package releases to updates, but they're not pushed unless there's a
> good reason.

Agreed here as well.  Proper emphasis on "reason" -- there should be
a reason other than upstream has a new release but there's a lot of leeway
for the maintainer to decide if the reason::risk ratio is okay.

> Fedora is a really good full-featured Linux distro with
> an agrressive release cycle, even without a continuous
> drinking-from-a-firehose updates policy.

This is where I'm a bit confused.... AFAICS, no one has pushed for
a drink-from-the-firehose policy.  The fact that rawhide is basically
drinking from the firehose is why people care about there being a policy for
F-current that is not overly restrictive... (ie, they want something
between, only security and critical bugfixes, no enhancements and rawhide)

> > So i (and others who think like me), have no reason to use Fedora
> > over one of the other mainstream Distros if Fedora is the same. And
>h > we will not get users like me if we dont offer that. Sure, there
> > might be people who dont give a darn about people like me.
>
> Well, that's a rather specialized taste.

And since I was lost at the previous step, I wonder here what you think
Thomas wants that's rather specialized.  If you think it's "drink from the
firehose" and that == rawhide, I agree that that's specialized.  If it's
semi-rolling updates, then I think that's not so specialized at all.

-Toshio