Another great update

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 15:47:09 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 01:32:42PM +0100, Michał Piotrowski wrote:

> I don't really care for desktop programs here. If you want to upgrade
> X.org or OpenOffice - I probably don't notice it. But if you plan to
> upgrade things like python, php - it can be a problem for me.

On the python side, we currently do not update python to a new major version
(like 2.6 to 2.7).  Updates are maintainer dependent but the "language"
maintainers (interpreters, compilers, core libraries) have traditionally
been more conservative due to the number of packages that depend on them
that would need to be rebuilt and retested should the language be moved to
a new version.

python is about as important as C to Fedora since many of our desktop, GUI,
and supporting tools are written in it.  So chances of it becoming less
conservative are small.  However, be aware that Fedora does not *require*
backports so some of the libraries built on top of python may be updated to
incompatible versions if there is a severe enough reason (for instance
a security bug is only fixed in a newer, incompatible version of the
library).

One alternative that I have heard of that you might want to look into is
RHEL5 plus packages from iuscommunity.org.  As I understand it, they are
trying to produce packages that you can install in parallel to the existing
versions of certain programs (like pyhton and php) on RHEL5.  This gives you
a base os that's going to remain compatible for its long lifetime and the
ability to use newer versions of the components you care about.

-Toshio