Proposed udpates policy change

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Mar 9 02:38:11 UTC 2010

> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 23:21:45 +0100, Sven wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 09:59:29PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>>
>>> Before being added to updates, the package must receive a net karma of
>>> +3 in Bodhi.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> It is the expectation of Fesco that the majority of updates should
>>> easily be able to garner the necessary karma in a minimal space of time.
>>
>> I don't know what to say.
>
> Right now (and after sending my early reply), I feel dizzy. I hope to
> not take another look at the fedora devel list folder until tomorrow
> when it will contain hundreds of message. After those monster threads
> last week, now this.
>
>> If Fesco is aiming at getting rid of all the pesky packagers maintaining low
>> profile packages: You're well on your way.
>
> Well said.

Yes.

As others already said, the axioms this proposal is based on are wrong,
the conclusions are wrong, the technology being applied is flawed (karma
votes), ... this whole proposal is insane.

> Also important, Matthew even fills a FESCo seat. Proposals like that are not
> what I expect from FESCo members.

This begs for a question: How many people participating to Fedora does
this FESCO represent? IIRC, the last election had a very low
participation, which in many democratic elections would have meant the
elections to have missed some quorums and the elections to be invalid.

> I'm severely disappointing.

Ditto.

Ralf

Ralf