PROPOSAL: Fedora user survey

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Tue Mar 9 14:02:22 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 09 March 2010 14:51:06 Seth Vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > Another question - how many broken things we shipped in release that
> > could be fixed by updates? We shipped lot of unfinished, feature
> > incomplete stuff in history...
> >
> > Nobody can't say I'm for shipping broken stuff - for release, updates
> > etc... I'm usually the one who says no for incomplete/broken stuff ;-)
> >
> > But please stop this. What I wanted to point out is that there ARE users
> > out there and we should know, WHO are our users. Or we can take a risk
> > and set target audience so we would know it or we can be all-catch
> > distro but then we have to behave like we are all-catch... In this case
> > you know - we need compromise...
>
> We get the users we aim for.
>
> The issue at hand is the type of users we want to aim for.
>
> Here's the camps I see:
>
> 1. One group wants us to aim for mom/pop/grandma/desktop users - the
> apple market or what ubuntu aims for.
>
> 2. one group wants us to aim exclusively for the bleeding edge open
> source developer market.
>
> 3. one group wants us to aim for the admin/experienced user who wants
> newer things but doesn't have time nor interest to fight with lots of
> broken things.
>

> What is being discussed, imo, is not which of these groups represents our
> current users but which of these groups are we interested in serving and
> which set of policies and rules will help us serve them best.

100% correct, I agree! So, setting update policy (and of course release and
other policies) should be done after setting target audience. There is risk
that we will loose one group and we can't compete in other group market we
target. But that's life, another distribution can start again and again ;-)

But let's do the first step - I totally understand why board want's target
audience (but I'm a little worried that we do too big step from our current
nice living surface to swamp ;-).

Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>