Announcing `gold-rebuild' - link your packages with gold now

Michal Nowak mnowak at redhat.com
Tue Mar 9 16:29:57 UTC 2010

----- "Jakub Jelinek" <jakub at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 06:44:18AM -0500, Michal Nowak wrote:
> > So far when rebuilding Base group: TOTAL: 99 PASS: 84 FAIL: 15
> > See attachment for complete list. Regarding fails, they are being
> > classified by the script so you can easily figure out, where might
> > be the problem (GCC v. gold v. fedora). It would be wise to contact
> > your package upstream with patches regarding gold-instead-of-ld
> usage.
> > Regarding passes: It just says package can be compiled and linked by
>
> > gold. No one`s claiming the binaries are 100% OK and working :)
> > (in sources testsuite such as prelink claims it might not ~ but
> prelink
> > is likely special case).
>
> Well, not a special case.  Currently all gold linked binaries and
> libraries
> are just not prelinkable at all.  gold author is aware of it and said
> he'd
> fix it.

This may have been fixed by this commit already:

"""
I committed this patch to gold to add the --spare-dynamic-tags option.
The default of 5 matches GNU ld's default behaviour.  This permits the
GNU/Linux prelinker to work.

Ian

2010-03-05  Ian Lance Taylor  <iant at google.com>

        * options.h (class General_options): Add --spare-dynamic-tags.
        * output.cc (Output_data_dynamic::set_final_data_size): Implement
        --spare-dynamic-tags.
"""

Did not check, though.

> 	Jakub