Announcing `gold-rebuild' - link your packages with gold now

Michal Nowak mnowak at redhat.com
Tue Mar 9 17:10:05 UTC 2010

----- "Roland McGrath" <roland at redhat.com> wrote:

> Nice hack, Michal!  As you are aware, I have been slowly preparing
> things
> to get towards the option of using gold for real in the future.
> Making
> this sort of testing easy is about the next thing I thought someone
> should
> do (and wasn't going to hack on myself!), so it's a thrill to see
> you've
> taken the initiative.
>
> I believe that upstream gold has changed a fair bit since the
> binutils
> snapshot we have in Fedora.  Before paying much attention to actual
> testing
> results, I would recommend working with nickc to get a fresher
> binutils
> based on current upstream into rawhide (it's too late to be mucking
> with
> F-13 tools now).

Actually what I do, Roland, it that I grab binutils daily tarball
and rebuild it as Source0 of Rawhide's SRPM (really ugly...) so I
always use the latest one, see '-r' option. Drawback in the script
is that it always rebuilds binutils even if you have today's
binutils RPMs somewhere, that's just a detail a the moment, I guess.

> I had not been planning to announce or recommend anyone play with
> gold
> until that was done.  As your wiki page mentions, for playing locally
> by
> hand you can already (as of F-13) use:
> 	alternatives --set /usr/bin/ld /usr/bin/ld.gold
> to try some compilations.

My observation is that 80-90 % of packages can be built however I doubt
all of resulting binaries work. Most notably kernel fails to build.

> Even with the latest gold, there are still some known limitations.
> So nobody should be expecting perfection.  But it is useful to
> collect
> the cases that fail in ways that are not already known gold bugs.

I just set x86_64 machine up and will try to rebuild whole F-13
package set. Will report results back (someday :).

> Thanks,
> Roland

Michal