should man-pages-* have Requires: man?

Ivana Hutarova Varekova varekova at redhat.com
Wed Mar 10 10:40:30 UTC 2010

On 03/08/2010 02:59 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 03/08/2010 11:25 AM, Ivana Hutarova Varekova wrote:
>
>>        For now in fedora there are 11 packages which contains language
>> mutations of man-pages (man-pages-{cs,da,de,es,fr,it,ja,ko,pl,ru,uk})
>> and man-pages package.
>>        Only 2 of them (man-pages-es, man-pages-it) requires man package. I
>> think man dependences should be consistent in all man-pages* packages.
>>    From my point of view man dependency should be in all of them.
>>
> There is no strong dependency between "man" and "man-pages".
>
> "man" is just one utility amongst many utilities which can be used to
> process man-pages.
>
> Ralf

Hello,
from my point of view, the vast majority of users uses man to show the
wanted man-page content (the reason to add the dependency). You are
right, there are other possibilities, so man is not necessary  (the
reason not to add the dependency).
I prefer to have the dependency to man there, but if the majority votes
for not to have it there then it is OK for me too (better then the state
in which each package handle this in the different way).
Ivana