PROPOSAL: Fedora user survey

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 19:32:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> http://fedoraproject.org/ is significantly selection-biased already,
>>> in my opinion.
>>
>> You could argue that only certain really interested parties will look at
>> fedoraproject.org, but that's why I was suggesting the start page or
>> firstboot (bad idea, I know), or something people will see when they
>> first open a browser or use a system. Not just the die hards.
>>
>> My personal opinion is that user feedback in general is a good thing,
>> even if you ultimately choose to disregard it. And I think putting a
>> survey up for 6 months (e.g. all of F13) would give plenty of time to do
>> reasonably useful statistical analysis of opinions. Shove in a few other
>> more generic questions if there are any others - e.g. "what do you use
>> Fedora for anyway?". Wouldn't that be good to know :)
>>
>> Jon.
>>
>> P.S. The government is elected, doesn't mean they don't still hold a
>> census every decade to find out who their users are.
>>

> Ok just basic statistics here (I will defer to Jeff Spaleta or Diana
> or other gurus)... but your analogy and survey need improvement to
> have statistical validity. In these sort of surveys you either need to
> survey everyone OR survey a random sample that are not self-selected.
>
> Valid census data is one that has close to 100% coverage within some
> statistical deltas. It is probably the most valid data because of
> that, however it can be gammed if the people taking don't take it
> seriously. [The statistical deltas are the things that everyone argues
> about saying you can't trust the data... but well we are all comrade
> scientists here (thats supposed to be a funny)]
>
> Surveys are valid within some margin of error and 'confidence level'
> as long as the data can be shown not be self-selecting, the questions
> properly phrased, and a study of various groups being polled is known
> (reference to census material to know that if you randomly call X
> people in Y region you will get Z% of sub-group.) You have to work out
> how many people you tried to survey, how many completed the survey,
> how much confidence you have in the population etc.
>
> For a group as small as Fedora (less than 50,000 registered users who
> you could survey) you would need to survey that actually is much
> larger than standard. An initial survey would probably want to have a
> confidence level of 95% and a confidence interval of +/- 5%. If after
> the survey your percentages are within that error bar (47% for/48%
> against..) you need to resurvey with a larger number. So for a first
> step, we would need to get a survey list made, have the questions
> reworded/etc to meet various survey tests, and then randomly pick a
> population and survey them (I am over simplifying here... there are
> various steps required I am not sure of).
>
> That looks to be about 400 people need to randomly selected and
> complete the survey (for +/- 5%). to get down to 1% you would need to

I don't think that the near-impossibility of having a statistically
sound sample that would hold up in a court of law means that we
shouldn't at least get a feel for who users are by doing a survey.
Certainly, an somewhat unstatistically-sound sampling is much better
than all of us guessing, is it not? :)