Hard drive spec change

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Wed Mar 10 21:38:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 03:22:13PM -0600, Mike Chambers wrote:
> Hadn't seen this discussed yet (not really a big hardware geek), and
> just saw an article about this today.  Are we (linux as a whole) ready
> for this or getting ready, or already using it?  And If we bought a new
> hd, via sata in my case within past year or newer computer in past year,
> are we using the new 4kb sectors now or just able to handle it?

  It got some discussion when first 4KiB drives shipped to customers
last year. Also, LWN has excellent (as usual) writeup on the matter:
http://lwn.net/Articles/377895/ . If you need access to this article,
please drop me an email.

--
Tomasz Torcz                 "God, root, what's the difference?"
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl         "God is more forgiving."