Hard drive spec change

Ric Wheeler rwheeler at redhat.com
Thu Mar 11 02:28:52 UTC 2010

On 03/10/2010 08:33 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2010/03/10 20:19 (GMT-0500) Ric Wheeler composed:
>

>> Peter Jones wrote:
>>

>>> Note also that the access time will be slightly faster.
>>>
> As if an average normal person could tell.
>

>> And power consumption will go down as you won't need as many platters :-)
>>
> Not materially for those whose needs are already down to less than one
> platter. MultiGHz, Multicore CPUs consume magnitudes more power than HDs.

I think that you might have a more convincing argument by stating that
most people, if we do our job right with the kernel & tools, won't be
able to tell the difference.

For the storage industry, this is equivalent to things like a process
change in the CPU market. Pack more stuff in the same space, reduce
power and improve performance.

If you personally don't care or don't know enough to notice these
improvements, we just need to make sure it is as painless as possible.
You probably won't notice the difference.

For anyone serious about storage (performance, reliability and power
consumption) this will be a positive step.

Ric