Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 12 01:01:01 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 01:44, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>>> Huh? I have to compile the stuff I am developing very often anyway.
>>> Having to rebuild it once is not going to be the end of the world.
>>>

>> No but it is often disruptive if ABI changes are in libraries in an
>> update and we should avoid that as much as possible.  This is part of
>> treating Fedora as a platform instead of a loose set of packages.
>
> How is it disruptive? Surely not because I have to rebuild the stuff I am
> developing myself and have to compile very often anyway… If it's stuff
> coming from a third-party repo, it's that repo's responsibility to rebuild
> the package and get it out together with the Fedora update.

« Alright, today I'll be implementing feature XYZ in my Foobar program. »

[... a short hack later, testing the change...]

« Why doesn't it work? It was working fine last time I tried, what's happening »

[... an hour of debugging later...]

« $#@!%µ the Libbar librazy was updated and isn't compatible anymore.
Great, I just lost an hour trying to solve a problem in my program
when it was coming from an soname bump! Thank you (not) $distro
maintainer!!! »

I have a very short programming experience, and yet it already
happened to me. I can't imagine how little patience must remain for
those who have been facing this kind of problems for years. :-/