Stable Release Updates types proposal

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Fri Mar 12 16:32:38 UTC 2010

Chris Adams wrote:

> Once upon a time, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> said:
>> If the infrastructure sucks where you live, what needs to happen
>> is that the infrastructure needs to improve, not that the whole
>> world adapts to stone-age infrastructure. Bandwidth is required
>> for many more applications than just fetching Fedora updates.

> That is just completely out of touch with reality.  We live in the
> real world and have to deal with real problems; you can't just wave
> a magic wand and make them go away.

While many third-world countries have made high speed connections a
priority, these countries are often densely populated.  In more rural
areas, high speed connections are economically impractical.

Here in Michigan, which is one of the more populous states, terrestrial
high speed connections are simply unavailable in about half the state.
Satellite connections are expensive, not terribly fast, and because of
the weather, very unreliable.

Much of this state has a population density less than 5 people per
square kilometer, and that is crowded compared to many of the western
states.  At those population densities it will be some time before
technology will be able to deliver high bandwidth connections
economically to much of the population.

If you are sitting in the crowded cities of western Europe, it may be
hard to imagine a world where your nearest neighbor is a kilometer away,
but that is how it is in much of the world.  The distances can be vast,
and hard to picture from inside Europe (or Manhattan, for that matter).

--McD