Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Mar 12 20:06:43 UTC 2010

Peter Jones wrote:
> It also implies that we're okay shipping updates of whole dep chains for
> any bug whatsoever in a stable release. This is a gigantic problem! Many
> people have complained about this - it uses much more bandwidth and
> storage, even with deltas (in fact, significantly more storage with
> deltas), and for very little appreciable benefit.

Without upgrading whole dep chains, important updates such as libmtp updates
adding new hardware support would be impossible. These always come as
grouped updates with rebuilds of Amarok and a couple other things. But the
maintainers do try to coordinate to reduce the amount of grouped updates,
e.g. libmtp and other such libraries such as libnjb often get updated
together, and they frequently come together with some new version of Amarok
as well.

        Kevin Kofler