Stable Release Updates types proposa

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Fri Mar 12 20:57:20 UTC 2010

Kevin wrote:
> But that still doesn't answer the question whether it shouldn't be
> up to  people like you to choose a distribution catering to your
> needs as opposed to imposing them on the existing Fedora. The
> problem is, if all the distributions optimize for people with
> low bandwidth, then what should people like me who have higher
> bandwidths and would like to use their bandwidth to get current
> software use?

Oh, I don't totally disagree with your premise.  Two of our core values
are "First" and "Features".  If someone is using Fedora then they want
to be on top of the latest open source goodness.  Isn't that the point?

But we may also want to understand what that does to our user and
contributor base.  There is a lot of variability around the world, and
around our base.  We need to balance the need to provide people with the
latest and greatest against the possible reduction in our base, and
should we make such a change, we would want to be very careful how we
frame it, to avoid unnecessarily alienating a larger group.

--McD