Stable Release Updates types proposal

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Mar 12 22:39:33 UTC 2010

Simo Sorce wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 21:18:11 +0100
> Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
>
>> The problem is, if all the
>> distributions optimize for people with low bandwidth, then what
>> should people like me who have higher bandwidths and would like to
>> use their bandwidth to get current software use?
>
> rawhide? F-13 ?

No.

This has already been explained several times!

Rawhide is not the answer. It comes with disruptive changes (and there's no
real way to avoid this problem, see e.g. my replies to Doug Ledford's "To
semi-rolling or not to semi-rolling, that is the question..." thread for
details, but it has also been brought up in other threads), prereleases of
software which is only expected to be stable at release time, no testing
repository (so all the breakage gets dumped directly on the Rawhide user)
etc.

The upcoming release branch is also not the answer. It is not available at
all half of the time, and it is feature-frozen, so it doesn't actually get
the expected feature upgrades (and with a policy like the one you appear to
defend, it won't get them at all, not even after the release).

        Kevin Kofler