Hard drive spec change

Ric Wheeler rwheeler at redhat.com
Sat Mar 13 13:28:18 UTC 2010

On 03/13/2010 08:17 AM, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> On 03/13/2010 12:45 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
>
>> On 2010/03/10 21:28 (GMT-0500) Ric Wheeler composed:
>>

>>> For anyone serious about storage (performance, reliability and power
>>> consumption) this will be a positive step.
>>>

>> Not everyone. Users of larger numbers of small files and small numbers of
>> large files already lose a heap of space to slack even with 1024k blocksize,
>> which will at least quadruple if forced to 4k sectors.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_fragmentation#Internal_fragmentation
>>

> Second on my list of annoying replies is a pointer to wikipedia (trumped
> only by replies with random URLS !).
>
> If you really want to store lots of really tiny files (<  1KB), you
> probably want to look at wants to store them in more efficient ways (tar
> them up, use a light weight DB, etc). Having been in the business of
> making storage appliances that stored lots of small files, it is a
> challenge.
>
> Also note that the overhead of creating a file/directory entry/inode in
> most modern file systems can easily consume more than a tiny file. If
> you want to test this, just take your favourite file system and make a
> brand new, empty FS. Fill it with zero length files and then see what
> your per file overhead is.
>
> In any case, you could use a file system (like reiserfs) that does tail
> packing.
>
> Ric

Another thing to keep in mind is that most file systems will hit severe
performance issues with file count before you end up filling the disk.

Assume that you take a 2TB disk and try to pack it with 1KB files - you
need to be able to store, sort and fsck a file system with close to 2
billion files. How do you index them? How many files/directory? How deep
is your directory tree?

For most any user, you would be lucky to get up to the point of
utilization where fragmentation would start to be a concern...

ric