Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 15 18:49:31 UTC 2010

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> Here is where we have a definition problem. To me, unbaked stuff is
>> things that haven't had a good month of testing if its a large change
>> (a couple of days if its a small one).
>
> If you count all the testing done on prereleases, KDE 4.4.0 actually had
> much MORE than a month of testing before being pushed. Even if you count
> only the stable release, it got more than 2 weeks of total testing before
> the stable push. But the changes between the RCs and the final were fairly
> small.
>
> So please don't overgeneralize claiming all the feature updates which are
> getting pushed are "unbaked".

Kevin, please calm down. You aren't helping yourself - and by extension,
your constituents (/me waves) - by treating everything said by someone
not obviously "on your side" as a personal attack.

I don't see anywhere that Stephen was calling current updates "unbaked".
Stephen is trying to throw some water on the fire /without/ taking
sides. I can't, unfortunately, say he is succeeding; not because of his
own efforts - which I find to be of very high quality - but... well,
because certain parts of the fire just seem to burn hotter no matter what.

So, please, take a step back, and try seeing if maybe, just maybe, your
views aren't as incompatible as you think.

--
Matthew
Time to get out the marshmallows...