Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 21:47:25 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-03-14 at 21:23 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>>
>> If we assumed that the people who had been registered in FAS for over
>> 6 months and had signed the CLA met the first two definitions, you
>> would need to randomly select about 3000 of them and have at least 600
>> answer the poll to have (i think) a 90% confidence level in the poll.
>> I think the questions need to be simple yes/no ones to qualify for the
>> 'easiest' tests, multiple choice results require something like
>> multiple asking worded slightly different or some such thing. Again
>> this is from a class I took 20 years ago so a real mathematician,
>> psychologist, etc would know better.
>>

> This unfortunately would also be a very selective set of folks, as it
> wouldn't include any of our pure users, who aren't contributors via FAS.

You are correct, a survey of them would not be possible to extend to
an entire population unless the survey was larger.  However one could
consider it  a poll survey of people  who have shown an strong
interest in Fedora. Survey's are in the end only good for certain
things.. figuring out what kinds of groups you are attracting is
something a survey can help answer. However deciding which elevator
algorithm to use in the kernel.. they are not.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning