Conflicts in latest update

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 08:50:39 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 08:51 +0100, Till Maas wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:19:56PM +0530, Ankur Sinha wrote:
>
> > Trying a "yum update" gives me this. Broken update?
> >

> > Transaction Check Error:
> >   file /usr/lib64/gstreamer-0.10/libgstshapewipe.so from install of
> > gstreamer-plugins-good-0.10.21-1.fc12.x86_64 conflicts with file from
> > package gstreamer-plugins-bad-0.10.17-2.fc12.x86_64
> >   file /usr/bin/gst-camera from install of
>
> If you look closer, you will notice that one of the packages comes from
> RPMFusion.
>
> Regards
> Till
> --
hey,

I did notice that. I wasn't sure why a package from rpmfusion would
conflict with one from fedora repos. (It's in rpmfusion for a reason)
Is it being obsoleted by a fedora package (license been cleared or
something)?

What I'm saying is that this conflict makes users uninstall manually to
proceed with the update. I use yum and know a little bit about this
stuff. What about normal users who wouldn't understand why an update
using a GUI is breaking?

Isn't there a better way to handle whatever transition is taking place
here?

--
regards,
Ankur