hal-storage-addon is now a separate package

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Wed Mar 17 10:08:57 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 15:19 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Right now, installing hal will result in hald-addon-storage polling
> removable devices from boot - even if nothing's paying attention. This
> is a surprisingly large power consumption hit on modern systems. udisks
> starts the polling on-demand, which is preferable, but some legacy
> applications still require hal.
>
> I've just split hald-addon-storage out into its own package in rawhide.
> If you need the hald-addon-storage functionality (ie, you rely on hal
> for media change events) then please add an explicit depends on
> hal-storage-addon.

Thanks! I reported elsewhere to some virt. folks that it is also a CPU
hog (in terms of waking up guests every two seconds to poll a virtual CD
device that may almost never have "media"). They are going to look at
fixing the qemu emulation so that virtualized drives can report media
status without being polled. But this now yields two interim solutions,
including either explicitly telling hal not to poll (I typically do this
on all new installs under virt) or removing this package in the future.

Jon.