Stable Release Updates types proposal

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Mar 18 19:18:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 12:57 +0000, Terry Barnaby wrote:

> As part of a Fedora release I would have thought that part of the
> test schedule would be to load and view some test documents with
> openoffice on a set number of platforms (Different graphics chipsets).
> This would likely have picked this up ...

Ahh. Idealism. :)

No, we are nowhere near this. We only implemented any kind of desktop
testing for the F13 cycle. Prior to F13, there was no planned validation
testing of anything besides the installer.

More generally, we consider it acceptable to release Fedora with known
regressions in functionality where this is ultimately required to drive
development forward. QA and devel groups know very well that some
AMD/ATI adapters behave worse in F10 onwards than they did in F9 and
earlier (though they tend to be better in F13 than F12, and better in
F12 than F11). This is due to extensive architecture changes in the
driver which were considered necessary to support new and future
hardware properly, and implement new models like Gallium.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey