Hard drive spec change

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Fri Mar 19 01:36:23 UTC 2010

On 03/18/2010 04:53 PM, shmuel siegel wrote:
> On 3/18/2010 9:47 PM, Robert Nichols wrote:
>> The default pseudo-geometry will still be 63 sectors/track unless you
>> change it, and by default a partition's start-of-data is forced to the
>> beginning of a track.  Making the sectors larger doesn't change that.
>>
> Warning: this question is asked without any knowledge about the subject.
> Does it really make sense that the number of sectors/track is
> independent of the size of a sector?

That parameter is already totally unrelated to the physical layout of
data on the disk.  It is no more invalid for a 4K sector size than it
is for a 512-byte sector size.  Really, the only thing that is affected
is the amount of space that fdisk (in the default DOS Compatibility
mode) leaves between a primary or secondary partition table and the
start-of-data for the partition.

                 Do NOT delete it.