Fedora has become fat!

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 13:27:47 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Adam Miller
<maxamillion at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 7:50 PM, Christoph Wickert
> <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Why has Fedora become so fat in the F13 development cycle?
>>
>>      * The LXDE Spin has grown from 464 MB to 509 MB [1] without a
>>        single change in the Spin. There actually was a change, SLIM was
>>        replaced with LXDM, but LXDM is actually smaller because it
>>        doesn't require the desktop-brackgrounds package
>>      * The Xfce spin has grown from 697 MB to 744 MB [2] without major
>>        changes. In fact, we dropped totem and gftp, which is at least
>>        10 MB.
>>
>> Any ideas what made Fedora become so fat or how to further investigate
>> this?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Christoph
>> [1]
>> http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/lxde/logs/SIZEHISTORY-i386
>> [2]
>> http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/xfce/logs/SIZEHISTORY-i386
>>
>> --
>>

> Could it be related to the dracut issue we ran into during the F12 build cycle?

Possibly. I'm also seeing packages pull in perl again (need to review
and file bugs). anaconda/syslinux is one of the big ones here. It was
always an issue but for some reason syslinux use to have the auto deps
suppressed which stopped the perl dep. perl pulls in a good 40+ meg
for a tiny little script that is used during a small component of the
anaconda process that isn't used at all as part of the liveinst (or
even a traditional install). See bug 544136 and its dependant bug.

Peter