spin kickstart/minimization cleanups

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Wed Mar 24 18:27:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> I hope you actually did some basic testing of live images and default
> installs based on these changes before applying them?

I've been using qemu (and yes they boot/run etc.) but not doing
livepath installs yet.

They're not really very different remember, and in general I'm only
adding packages which were already in @gnome-desktop.

> We're right in the
> middle of the F13 Beta process and have a base of validation tests built
> up which becomes somewhat less reliable if major changes to the default
> package sets start being shoved in...

So we're at a crossroads now because of the size overflow.   We have
to do *something*. Really this has always happened because the live
images have been an afterthought in the development process.

I've been mostly trying to change things so that in the end the
package set is very close; the scanner was the one exception.
Actually to keep things clear I'll just punt that to F14.

> Oh, on the removal of system-config-network: I don't think this is a
> good idea. NetworkManager is still not capable of configuring dial-up
> network connections. Removing s-c-n makes it difficult or impossible to
> configure a dial-up network connection, I believe.

Remember that system-config-network has not been in the live path
install for at least the last release, only in Standalone Anaconda.