setuid binary for beep program

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Mon Mar 29 21:28:00 UTC 2010

Jan Klepek píše v Po 29. 03. 2010 v 20:59 +0200:
> I'm looking for a way how to correctly have beep program[1] with setuid
> binary (I mean, what is correct process for this from maintainer point
> of view? Or what should be done except change in spec file). I saw
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Privilege_escalation_policy
> however, I have no idea what should I do that beep package will
> implement it correctly.
I don't think the privilege escalation policy directly places any
restrictions on beeping;  the 'behavior of the system "as a whole"'
clause can perhaps be interpreted as related.

I think it's undesirable to allow any remote user to annoy people who
are in the same room as the computer; on the other hand I'd personally
have nothing at all against allowing users logged in locally to beep as
they want.  This would be easiest to implement using consolehelper, look
how the "eject" command does it.
Mirek