gpsd update

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon May 3 09:13:26 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar at redhat.com> wrote:
> I'd like to update the gpsd package to the latest version 2.94. If
> there will be no objections, probably sometimes next week.
>
> Unfortunately, there were non-trivial API changes since version 2.39
> that break most of the dependent packages. The first version with the
> new API (2.90) was released more than a year ago, so I think the
> upstreams had enough time to make necessary changes and we shouldn't
> wait any longer.
>
> Packages that currently use libgps.so.18:
>
> qtgpsc-0:0.2.3-6.fc12
> kdebase-workspace-0:4.4.2-5.fc14
> vfrnav-0:0.4-1.fc13
> gpsdrive-0:2.10-0.5.pre7.fc13
> kdeedu-marble-libs-0:4.4.2-1.fc14
> vifir-0:0.4-1.fc12
> viking-0:0.9.9-1.fc12

You've missed both geoclue and tangogps off that list.

geoclue dropped support for gpsd in F-13 and later so its not really an issue.

What of the dependencies have an upstream with a port to the new
version of gpsd. If none of them do I think its a little pointless
updating just for the sake of it if all dependant packages break. It
the majority of them do support the new api then its more worthwhile.

I presume this would be just for F-14/rawhide.

Peter