Btrfs compression

Pádraig Brady P at draigBrady.com
Tue May 4 11:12:50 UTC 2010

On 01/05/10 04:32, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Adam Jackson wrote:
>> find / -xdev -type f | while read i; do
>>     cp $i /tmp/tmp
>>     rm $i
>>     mv /tmp/tmp $i
>> done
>
> I presume that cp should be cp -p? And I guess it would be better to do a mv
> -f rather than rm + mv, otherwise you're going to have trouble when you hit
> /bin/mv. :-) And of course this needs to run as root.
>
>> Obviously, don't actually run that.
>
> Well, are there any other caveats than the ones I listed above?

The cp/rm/mv file replacement method is only suitable for once off replacements
as there are processes started per file. Even for single file replacements
there are considerations other than performance:
http://www.pixelbeat.org/docs/unix_file_replacement.html

Better do this sort of thing to/from another partition (that supports
all the same file attributes), with tar,rsync,...

cheers,
Pádraig.