Res: Open Letter: Why I, Kevin Kofler, am not rerunning for FESCo

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Tue May 4 17:04:42 UTC 2010

Jesse Keating wrote:
> So this is kind of funny.  You'd rather see testing become/less/
> rigorous as the age of a release grows, and you want the most rigorous
> testing done in rawhide.  That's quite the opposite of what many of us
> are trying to work toward, that is as the release moves from rawhide
> into branched into released into released-1 the testing gets harder, and
> the chance of breakage gets lower.  Users of older releases aren't there
> for the fun of it, they need to get real work done, and don't want
> updates to get in their way of accomplishing that.  We should be more
> careful with our older release than anything else.

No, I was stating fact - not opinion. Older releases receive less
testing. Bodhi metrics show it if you want something tangible besides my
words.

> So I'd love to have multi-level policy, but in my opinion it should get
> harder and harder to push an update as the release gets older, not
> easier.

We can't rely on one tester to be able to test older releases through a
stringent policy, can we?

It's common sense that older releases should be receiving more testing,
but here in reality it is the opposite. If I am wrong, please prove it.