Reasons for hall monitoring

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Wed May 5 05:37:39 UTC 2010

2010/5/4 Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>:
> Seth Vidal wrote:
>>      *  Hall monitors are allowed to send 'thread closure' posts to
>> aggressive or problematic mailing list threads to curtail issues before
>> they become serious enough to warrant an official warning. When this is
>> done the subject line of the message will be prefixed with
>> [HALL-MONITORED] and a link to this wiki page is included in the message.
>
> This vague paragraph can be abused to justify censoring pretty much
> everything.
>
> Thank you for pointing out yet another undemocratic policy passed by one of
> our committees (in this case the Board) against the wishes of a large part
> of our community, restricting the usage of a mailing list for its very
> purpose: discussion. You can arbitrarily censor any discussion you don't
> like without even giving a reason.

well there are a few potential solution to this:

1) try to get rid of this policy
2) use different lists/forums to continue the discussion.

you pick which one is worth to go ahead with. this is not a democracy,
and it has been stated often enough by all people involved, not even
an indirect one.

kind regards,
Rudolf Kastl