How this bug can come out of its dead-end? Any suggestions?!

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun May 9 16:54:04 UTC 2010

Frank Murphy wrote:
> That *should not* be default for most users,
> as it will end up breaking quite a lot,
> if used with other repos. (updates,updates-tesing, 3rd party)
>
> as %requires may have changed quite a bit since DVD was released.

That shouldn't be a problem as long as updates is enabled.

A more pertinent reason not to enable this by default is that many users
will misplace the DVD and prefer just downloading the packages. Many of them
have updates anyway.

And to really suit users with no or a very slow Internet connection, we'd
also have to disable updates by default which we definitely DO NOT want.

As I've already said more than once, IMHO we should just add "broadband
Internet connection" to Fedora's system requirements, it's effectively
already required. Sure, you can get it to work without it with some manual
workarounds, but for Fedora to work properly out of the box, and to get
updates (including security fixes, critical bugfixes etc.), you need a
(reasonably fast) Internet connection.

        Kevin Kofler