chrony as default NTP client?

Yaakov M. Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Mon May 10 08:45:54 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 01:15:03PM -0700, Ryan Rix wrote:
> I find that having NTP enabled in most cases for mobile systems is simply
> unnecessary; there is a large (I would say upwards of 95% in my most
> unscientific guessings) chance that these users aren't going to be doing
> anything which requires their clocks to be synced with any amount of
> precision. And if they are, they should _know_ that and be able to set up
> a tool (whether it is NTP or Crony) themselves.

I guess you've never had to debug Kerberos before. Luckily, neither
have i, so i'm not one to talk. There are a number of apps that are
pretty dependent on the clocks being in sync with each other to a
degree. Granted, not everyone is running all those apps, but then it
begs the question why Fedora provides so much out of the box in the
first place. Let's assume that NTP is probably a good thing to support
out of the box on most machines, assuming we can support it right in
the first place.

-Yaakov