PackageKit need to be more intelligent!

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu May 13 07:35:16 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 12 May 2010 23:29:30 Chris Lumens wrote:
> > users do not need to find devel packages from the PackageKit GUI, we need
> > to search useful packages from here, that is my opinion...
>
> This line of thinking needs to stop.  Developers are users, too, and
> development packages ending up in the search results is not such a bad
> thing.  Those packages *are* useful to people, just not the people you
> have in mind.

Developers are usually smart enough to filter results to fit their needs, end
users are usually not able to do it. I'm not against smart defaults even these
defaults does not fit my needs as for me it's really easy to setup my system to
match my heart (do I have heart? ;-).

Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>