Increase grub timeout

Richard Zidlicky rz at linux-m68k.org
Sat May 15 10:57:20 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 05:24:26AM -0400, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-05-15 at 11:01 +0200, Richard Zidlicky wrote:

> > More elaborate solution, there could be two config values - quicktimeout and
> > safetimout.
> > After kernel and config changes timeout would be changed to safetimout and once
> > the kernel booted safely it could be reset to quicktimeout automatically.
>
> Neat idea.  But if a breaking kernel change somehow occurs without
> triggering the change to the safetimeout, we would not want the user to
> be completely stuck.  I see two ways to address that:

see only few possibilities how it could break:
- hw configuration change
- hw failure
- sysadmin breakage (circumventing fedora tools)

for situations like this a live USB stick is pretty important, grub timeout
could help in this situation or not depending on many other factors.

> - Make quicktimeout nonzero enough that the user has time to react.

the idea was that both "quicktimeout" and "safetimout" would be configurable,
with reasonable predefined values like eg 1 and 6 seconds.

Everything else is too much black magic for my taste:)

Richard