short window between fedora-release update and resuming of updates-testing

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon May 17 23:17:54 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 14:50 -0400, Andre Robatino wrote:
> If I haven't missed something, it looks like there was only a 2-day
> window (during a weekend) between the update to fedora-release-13-1
> (which enabled updates and disabled updates-testing)
>
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-May/090747.html
>
> and the next push to updates-testing
>
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-May/090835.html
>
> and I can't find any public mention of this (though I know it was
> mentioned somewhere).  This is crucial information for anyone installing
> from an image from before around May 8 (such as the Beta).  If they miss
> the window, and then don't update fedora-release first, they end up with
> probably unwanted updates-testing packages.
>
> Just wondering, would it be possible and reasonable to have a flag
> associated with package updates that enable/disable repos, so that when
> an update includes them, do only those, and then notify that enabled
> repos have changed, so that another update should be done (or do it
> automatically)?
>
> If not, I think these windows should be publicized better, so people
> installing from earlier images don't end up with unwanted packages on
> their system.  For example, since the Alpha and Beta are announced on
> the announce list, that might be a good place to announce this window as
> well.

The window doesn't matter that much anyway, as by no means all packages
pushed to updates-testing during the pre-final cycle have been (or will
be) approved as updates. So it's perfectly possible people who installed
pre-releases will have what you term 'unwanted' packages anyway. This
seems to be to be reasonable for those who run pre-releases, but I
suppose we could write it up somewhere for clarity...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey