Increase grub timeout

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue May 18 15:47:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-18 at 10:34 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-05-18 at 00:02 +0100, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > With an install _not_ of the kind described above, you currently get a 0
> > timeout, which is what's mostly under discussion now: whether we should
> > have a non-zero timeout for all installations, even single-boot.
>
> Of course it shouldn't be zero. This is what I was saying yesterday. Now
> if Fedora is really targeting end users who are non-technical (can we
> decide this finally, sometime, please?) then this is valid. But if it's
> true that we favor experienced computing users, it should not be zero.

That argument doesn't make any sense. Surely, whether the timeout should
be zero or not does not depend on the experience of the user, but on the
use case at hands.

Several installation to choose from --> give the user time to make a
choice
Only one OS --> get it running as quickly as possible

I am certainly an experienced user, and I am still not in love with
staring a a grub screen for so many seconds every boot.