Mono.Cecil and monodevelop

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue May 18 19:23:29 UTC 2010

On 05/18/2010 02:48 PM, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> As the new MD relies on a version of Mono.Cecil which is newer than the
>>> version in gac is it permissible to ship MD-2.4 with this newer version?
>>> The version in gac remains untouched by this new version so other
>>> applications reliant on the old version will still run.
>>
>> Wouldn't it make sense to instead update the packaged version of
>> mono.cecil and fix any older apps?
>
> It depends is the easy answer. Quite a lot of apps rely on the old
> version and to fix them may not be simple.

Well, you won't know how insurmountable it is until you try. :)

> I personally would prefer to create a mono.cecil package by itself which
> everything else sucks from...

To be clear:

I'm opposed to MD bundling a copy of Mono.Cecil.

I'm not necessarily opposed to moving the old Mono.Cecil (as bundled
with mono) into its own subpackage (e.g. mono-cecil).

Heck, I'm not even opposed to updating it in that package or separating
it into its own package (and not packaging it as part of the main mono
package), assuming it doesn't cause nasty dependency loops.

We could even package the older mono-cecil in a mono-cecil0690 package,
as a last resort, but we should definitely try porting the apps first.

~spot