libjpeg for F14

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue May 25 16:01:34 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 03:09:27PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 02:57:37PM +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 15:27 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > <snip>

> > > I did some profiling of this for the spice project, and it performed
> > > very well. I would very much like this to be in fedora, either as a
> > > separate library or as a replacement for libjpeg.
> > >
> > > It is binary compatible with libjpeg, but contains some extra API not
> > > supported by the normal libjpeg.
> >
> > Which means you'll have to make a choice as to which one to support if
> > you want to handle JPEG files, and that we'll have to fix upgrades and
> > new installations to install the preferred one, as they would have the
> > same soname.
>
> Why couldn't we just replace libjpeg with the libjpeg-turbo upstream?
> (For the primary architectures anyway).

The issue would be that it's a fork.  So libjpeg from the independent jpeg
group and libjpeg-turbo can gain incompatible API in isolation from each
other.  (The situtation seems a bit complex, there's three projects that
I can see working on libjpeg:

* libjpeg.sf.net -- working on API compatible updates to libjpeg-6b
* independent jpeg group (one person?) -- working on jpeg-8b and beyond
* libjpeg-turbo -- seems to be based on libjpeg-6b has speedups on modern
  x86 (w/SSE), licensed under the wxwindows license instead of BSD due to
  using code from that project.  (according to the README in libjpeg-turbo,
  wxwindows license is a less restrictive form of the LGPL -- it allows
  static linking without the resulting work having to take on the LGPL
  license.)

tgl, is this your understanding of the separate projects as well?

-Toshio