systemd (Was Re: tmpfs for strategic directories)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed May 26 19:27:43 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 18:50 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> > I beg to differ. I've had to create or modify initscripts quite often,
> > either as a sysadmin or a packager. If this is now going to require C
> > coding skills, I'm not going to be able to do it. I don't think it's
> > safe to assume that everyone who needs to write or modify an initscript
> > is going to know C. What about people who write apps that need
> > initscripts in some other language?
>
> THERE ARE NO PLANS TO SHIP COMPILED INIT SCRIPTS OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT!
>
> The plan is to reduce what is currenlty done in files like
> /etc/init.d/messagebus to files like
> http://0pointer.de/public/dbus.service.
>
> And those files you can edit just fine, and reconfigure.

There's no need to yell, you only explained that a couple of minutes
ago, before I wrote the above mail. From your blog post, it sounded very
much like compiled initscripts were what you were proposing.

This seems perfectly reasonable, but at the same time, when you explain
it this way, it doesn't seem like anything that needs a new init system
to happen. You can move stuff into the daemons themselves no matter what
init system you're using, and it seems like upstart would be open to
moving appropriate things into the init system. That does seem like a
perfectly sensible thing to do, though, so I hope it happens, whatever
init system we wind up with.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey