"Subpixel smoothing" options should be per-monitor

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Fri May 28 13:40:53 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-28 at 09:24 -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> This is fairly obvious, but I couldn't find anything in bugzilla, so
> I'll mention it here. I have a docking station and an LCD monitor
> connected to it. When I dock, I have two screens -- one that's
> attached to my laptop, another that is external. That part works fine.
>
> However, I run into problems when I set up sub-pixel smoothing. My
> laptop is VRGB, while my external LCD is RGB. There's currently no
> option (that I see) to set up sub-pixel smoothing tweaks per-monitor,
> while there really should be, because I either have colourful fonts on
> one screen or the other screen. The only option that I have currently
> is to not use sub-pixel smoothing.

I think you're right.  Please file a bug.

Note that when multiple monitors are combined into an X screen with
Xinerama, it is possible (though rare) for a single character to span
multiple screens.  I guess the part lying on each screen should be
rendered with the correct option for that screen.  That may take some
work to implement.

--
Matt