systemd (Was Re: tmpfs for strategic directories)

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Fri May 28 18:06:32 UTC 2010

> Jeremy Sanders wrote:

> > You're suggesting hammering shut the insides of linux to stop people
> > playing around and reducing freedom - sounds like you want Fedora to be
> > like the products of other large propitiatory systems.
>
> C code can be changed too, if really needed. But the point is that it should
> not be necessary to edit code at all to get what's needed.

I'm sure we could live in a wonderful Utopia in which everything just
works and there are pink butterflies everywhere, but in the *real* world
(the same one where not every software update works first time),
repeatedly, people have pointed out that this is not the case.

Didn't we "decide" that Fedora was intended for more technical users? I
don't see many technical users crying out for a hammered shut init
system where they feel like they have to go to their auto mechanic to
attach the right magic dongle to fix it when it breaks.

Jon.