systemd (Was Re: tmpfs for strategic directories)

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon May 31 23:43:37 UTC 2010

On Thu, 27.05.10 07:15, Matthew Miller (mattdm at mattdm.org) wrote:

> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 10:10:35AM +0200, Harald Hoyer wrote:
> > We mainly speek about rc.sysinit, which most of you don't touch, because it
> > would be overwritten the next initscripts update anyway.
>
> I would never touch it with a permanent change, but I definitely make
> debugging changes to it often enough. That's not down to it being a shell
> script though; it's because it's a crufty mess.

Two things:

if we replace stuff like sysinit by proper C code things become less
fragile and hence you need to debug less.

and secondly, bash is actually a pretty shitty debugger, especially when
there are a lot of scripts running in parallel. For debugging purposes
we should offer better tools, and some of that we already implemneted:
if you pass "systemd.confirm_spawn=1" on the kernel command line you
have the option to single-step through a serialized startup. Tools like
that I believe are much more appropriate for debugging the startup
process.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net