Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Nov 5 15:12:09 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-05 at 02:11 +0100, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> Interesting move: http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/551
>
> Has anyone looked into bringing Wayland to Fedora? If not this might be the
> right time getting involved in the discussion.
>
> http://wayland.freedesktop.org/

Until recently, wayland required private branches of quite a few
dependencies. But it should be possible to build wayland against F15
packages now, or at least it should be soon. If somebody wants to give
this a try, I'd be happy to review packages.

Wayland certainly still has a way to go before we can think about
replacing X altogether, but many pieces of this puzzle have been falling
into place, and with the increased interest (and hopefully
contribution), we may see it happen sooner rather than later.

Watch out for that 'gnome-shell on wayland' post... :-)