What are differences between real and rpmbuild's environment?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Nov 8 18:34:14 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 03:49:28PM +0100, Michal Hlavinka wrote:
> I'm trying to find out what are differences between environment for
> local rpm build and usual user's environment. I've added regression
> tests to %check section of ksh spec file. These tests never fails
> when executed in user's environment, but some of them always fail
> when executed as part of rpm build process. I've tried to compare
> variable in the environment and ulimit values, but there does not
> seem to be any significant difference. I've also tried to use the
> same script generated by rpmbuild for %check section (from
> /var/tmp/rpm.*), but still it does not reproduce the problem. Any
> ideas?

Is the spec file using %configure?  That adds a lot of flags to the
configure script.  Similarly make _vs_ make %{_smp_flags}.

Have you tried 'printenv' at the top of the %check section?

Are you specifically running rpmbuild as the same user?  Or are we
talking about rpmbuild in some other environment (mock or Koji)?
There is a Koji bug which affects ksh %check in particular
(RHBZ#639275).

Rich.

bindings from many languages.  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/
See what it can do: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/recipes.html