Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Tue Nov 9 17:13:56 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 11:44 -0500, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> I think we'd like to see the Fedora community figure out its position
> on the subject— so that it can tell the Wayland developers "If you
> continue on this track, then as things stand, Fedora will not be
> making it a part of the default Fedora install".

Well, the Fedora graphics cabal is basically me, Kevin Martin, and Dave
Airlie, and since we were hanging out at Plumbers last week and talked
about this, here's the rough consensus I think we reached:

Wayland's not a usable default yet.  It'll probably be packaged in F15
as something you can play with.  We don't even have a complete list of
transition criteria yet, let alone a timeframe for switching the
default.  But it's likely to happen eventually because it's a serious
win for a lot of things, and the downsides are pretty negligible despite
the fear from the peanut gallery.

Feel free to quote me.

- ajax