Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Nov 9 18:22:40 UTC 2010

Gregory Maxwell (gmaxwell at gmail.com) said:
> So,
>
> > You are, in short, scared.
>
> ... I think this is a rather unfair characterization.

I don't know about that. Something new is discussed, and not everyone
understands it, and they have concerns about how it may handle some particular
cases.

Now, people can go about the discussion in multiple ways.

People can ask questions... get more info... try and understand the
architecture... work on ways to fit into it, or move it, or discover better
ways to accomplish that usage case.

Or people can start posting how WE agree that THOSE people are coming into
OUR space and I see how they're moving towards THEIR way doing things that
are against OUR way of life, and how this is going to be a DISASTER and
THOSE people must be STOPPED because THEY can't be reasoned with. (Paid for
by the committee to elect blah blah fishcakes send your donations now so we
can stop THOSE people and their AGENDA today.)

And that's argumentation that's based on fear and instilling fear, and
the more that an argument tends down those lines, the more I'd expect a
response with condescension.

Bill