Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 19:29:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Andrew Haley <aph at redhat.com> wrote:
> OK, so it's likely that everything will just continue to work
> remotely, and people won't experience any problems.  And they won't
> have to run VNC just to get their favourite app to display remotely.
>
> If this had been explained clearly to begin with, we could have
> avoided all this pain.

All participants need to take responsibility for being situationally
aware to keep things from spiralling out of control.

The person starting this conversation is not involved in the work.
Because of that there is no initial clarity or statement of
purpose..no expert opinion to rely on at the outset. The people
involved in the work are bravely walking into a discussion they didn't
expect to be having at this point in time to pour water on reactions
that have already grown somewhat overheated by the lack of clarity
which was created through no fault of their own.

> It looked like a bunch of kiddies who had never used remote X
> applications had decided we didn't need to do that anymore, and it was
> more important to get kewl features like smooth scrolling and rotating
> 3D whatnots.  It seems that isn't true, and we don't need to worry.
> The lunatics have not, in fact, taken over the asylum.

If you thought that, if anyone thought that, they are bringing a huge
amount of mental baggage into the discussion with them and are setting
everyone up for a passionate overheated argument instead of a
dispassionate informative discussion.  A quick look over at
freedesktop's git at the people who have had personal wayland branches
in recent history would eradicate this particular characterization.

-jef